Saturday, March 29, 2008

Here goes the hippie rant


Hello all. Sorry no blog for a few days, I just don't have much going on. Actually I still don't have anything to say. I promised a hippie rant a while back, so this is it:

First a disclaimer, THIS RANT STEREOTYPES! In the same way you cannot generalize a whole group of people, this rant focuses on the annoying 20-something hippies that hang out in Chico doing nothing but being worthless. I am willing to accept there are hippies that are not like this and are actually very nice people.

Reasons I can't stand hippies:

1. Hippies are judgmental and hypocritical.
Isn't part of the hippie mantra that they are so open minded? Yeah, open minded until you disagree with them or eat a cheeseburger. Yeah, McDonald's is killing the rain forest. They also make a tasty cheeseburger. The hippies are worse than the Christian right. At least the Christian right knows they are judgmental. The hippies say they are not, but they are. Hypocrites.

2. Hippies are lazy.
There is nothing more annoying than having a 24-year-old able-bodied person sitting on the street playing the bongo drums and asking me for spare change.
"Hey, do you, like have any spare change." ::insert badly playing bongo drumming::
"Yes, I do. Because I have a job. No, you can't have any."
It is one thing for the Vietnam vet with no legs to ask me for money. I'll give that guy money. But the people that are perfectly capable of working that are just lazy? No.
Why do they say they don't work? Oh yeah, they are way too cool to conform to society's norms man.....
But by taking money from working people that do conform to society's norm, they are part of society, they are just the lowest part. The part that takes money from hard-working people because they are lazy. Or think they are too good to work in a low end job. I respect the guy working at Burger King a whole lot more.

Disclaimer: People that stay home and raise children and care for the house do not count as the lazy unemployed. Their job is full-time and a lot harder than what I do.

3. Hippies are ruining the environment.
Yes, they are. People that recycle and care for the environment are doing a good, right thing. Hippies that lecture you about organic food and sustainability make me want to club a baby seal with raw meat, then fill landfills with styrofoam cups. Out of spite, no one wants to do what a hippie tells them to. So people that are just trying to do the right thing are put in a position of agreeing with hippies and annoying people. It'd be like if I was having a debate with someone on
any old subject, and suddenly the most annoying idiot on Earth walks up and sides with me. No! Don't agree with me! You are just making me look bad!

4. Hippies really are dirty.
They are, really.

5. Hippies nowadays are just a "cool" clique that pretends to care about things, but just want an excuse to party with other hippies.
Back in the '60s and '70s hippies protested against the war, they protested about the unfair treatment of women and black people. They were young and idealistic but they were genuinely trying to do something that would change the world for the better. Not anymore. Hippies do not make a difference. They don't even try. They are as bad as cheerleaders in high school that all have to wear the cool clothes and have the right hair-do. It's just different clothes and dreadlocks now.

I am sure I have more to say on this, but that is all I can think of right now. Am I being to harsh on hippies? No.

18 comments:

Vicki said...

What about Yippees, and Yuppies, and Buppies?
I have to say, I do agree with you all the way. Lazy just pisses me off.

Mary said...

Hippies wear tie dye... old worn out tie dye and they smell.

also, the most important item you forgot to bring up about hippies...
they go to grocery stores and buy organic food, but they are buying the packaging that states..ORGANIC!

They use societies electricity without issue and even hitch hike because it is better for the environment, but they don't have any problems utilizing a car..
They don't immunize their children, but istead give them rutebaga juice and these little ground squirrels end up in our hospitals using the health care system... and these parents are the ones who will sue if anything goes wrong.

Hippies spread lice, and they use words like groovy and far out! Thanks John Lennon...

Valerie said...

Oh yes! I forgot the electricity and other public utility issues! Oh yeah, they are so separate and better than society, but they still use the resources. Ak.

Sarah Michele said...

Being lazy and a hypocrite has to be the worst combo ever.

I agree with everything in your post even though I may be seen as slightly hippie-ish (I'm just a little light Green) to some. I think Steven has called me a hippie quite often :)

I hate the elitist attitude that some hippies and super environmentalists exude. Its just gross. Or is that there stinky Birkenstock's? :)

Monica said...

steven thinks that if you care about the environment at all even a little, that you must be a hippy. he calls me a hippy on a daily basis for things like, telling him he can wear the same pj's more than once, or that he needs to take his lunch in containers not plastic bags or to use a towel to clean with instead of a paper towel....
and i say to him..."is my hair in dreads? do i smell like pitchouli and pot? NO i dont...im not a hippy. stop being wasteful!"

i actually HATE the hippys that sit on the street, or little down town areas and do NOTHING all day. if they were so worried about the environment they would be out there trying to do something about it instead of sitting there emmiting carbon dioxide and being a drain on society.

Valerie said...

Well said Monica!

It is people like Sarah and Monica that are hurt the most by the hippies. Trying to do good things gets you called a hippie. Why? Because the hippies are so in everyone's face that is all you can think about when someone tries to be environmentally conscious. They are ruining the Earth!

Monica said...

oh today i was driving threw sebastopol, which is like hippy capitol, and i saw at least 3 of the real stinky ones, you know the type, DRIVING cars that clearly had exhaust problems and were causing so much pollution..
just thought i would share that with you val

Valerie said...

LOL That's because without a job they have to drive crappy cars.

Sarah Michele said...

I agree, hippies give us a bad name.

I actually get a anxious when I bring my own bags to the store or when people see Ellie in a cloth diaper. I want to wear a sign that say "I in no way think I am better than you!"

I don't want to be seen as an elitist hippie ya know? I guess my sign should say " I in no way think I am better than you- unless you are a hippie"

Mary said...

hippies give environmentalists bad names...

hippy used to mean environmentalists.. tree huggers etc.. but now they are bums..

Sarah..you are an environmentalists.. and I love Ellie's cloth diapers...

Valerie said...

Maybe I can get a shirt printed for you that says "I am an environmentalist. Not a hippie. Hippies stink."

Mandy got me a shirt that says "Shut up Hippie!" I haven't had the guts to wear it publicly yet, but I will.

Monica said...

my problem is i never remember to bring my bags. but i do drive a PZEV. it means partial zero emmisions vehicle. hopefully people dont see that and think im a hippy. cause i honestly didnt know that till i bought the car! lol!
and if i can...my child will also wear cloth diapers!

Mary said...

hippy!

Sarah Michele said...

Its all about saving money for me!

I am a frugal, simplistic kind of "environmentalist", primarily because I am poor!

But yes, I care about the environment also :)

Sarah Michele said...

I want the "Shut Up, Hippie" shirt!!

I would totally wear it while using my reusable produce bags, buying organic vegetables with my cloth diapered kid with me-just to confuse people :)

Mary said...

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/shut-up-hippie-ash-grey-t-shirt-5

Valerie said...

Ak, the link cut off....

Mary said...

go to google and put in
"I hate hippies tshirts" and a great one comes up with cartman....