Sunday, March 1, 2009

I know it has been too long....





Hi family, sorry it has been so long since I have blogged. It is a busy time. Homework has hit like a tidal wave and I am trying to learn to surf it. I was reading Mary's blog, and mentioned that 2010 was going to be a big year for us, she will be done in March and I will be done in May. Although somehow she gets a split masters in less time that I get one. But Chico State will not let us vary from their program regiment and time unless you want to take longer than four semesters. At least by this summer I will be half done and probably starting to work on a thesis. We have a choice between taking comprehensive exams, doing a thesis project or writing a thesis in order to graduate. The nice thing about doing a thesis is that you have to defend it and have it done early, so while everyone is freaking out about their upcoming comp tests, you are essentially done. Also, your thesis is a bound book that not only you get a copy of, but the library has available to check out. It is a really neat way to be published. I need to start on it soon because apparently it takes almost a year to write one. I have a few vague topic ideas. One is to examine the role of internet communication on society, another is to examine the anonymous communication on the internet and how it affects how people behave, another is to do a historical thesis, for instance the types of communication used in peace talks in some past conflict and why is was effective or ineffective. My other idea to go critical theory, and do a feminist rhetorical thesis on Disney and how they affect gender roles in young girls. So I am pretty much all over the map with this. Oh well, I have a little while to decide, but I'd love anyone's input because this will be a huge project and it has to be something I can keep going on and not get so totally burned out that I can't finish it!

5 comments:

Busby said...

The /anon communication will just lead you to this conclusion; People online (/anon or not) are JUST like they are in RL...

The Disney question seems more interesting because it is a tightly focused thesis and is something that will yield generational answers... just compare Cinderella who waited for the Prince and needed help, to Amy Adams in Enchanted where she took charge (well except for the ending when the squirrel saved her, but I guess guys can slay dragons and not hot princesses in slinky wet purple gowns... at least she took the sword and climbed... I can't imagine a Disney Princess from the 30's or 40's doing that... and what about most Disney villains being women... what does THAT say or is that more standard Fairy Tale structure?

Vicki said...

oh, academic Disney...deep!
The only bad man I can think of in a Disney fairytale film is the guy in Beauty and the Beast. But, the films were really reflecting the fairytale stories of Grimm and others from LONG LONG ago.
So, really , it goes back to the pagans when society was matriarchal and before the Christian bullies came and changed it to patriarchal and ....well, you know the rest. At least they let us keep the Virgin Mary...scheech

Mary said...

published is phenomenal.. I will soooo buy it..

I am not sure you want a publication specifically around Disney.. it is a well used thesis.

"One is to examine the role of internet communication on society, another is to examine the anonymous communication on the internet and how it affects how people behave"

this is a newly evolving thesis in the last 10 years or so. There is a great deal of research right now around "bullies" in RL vs anon.
I personally believe I am a different person anon than RL and a very different person at work vs my personal blog.

This thesis could come from a simple survey to start asking specific questions and then going to societal phenomenons with online chat.. like IM or schools online, the ability to order food online to be delivered.. the list goes on..

the point is... you are one busy little lady...

love ya lots..

NO competition with who gets their Masters first... because YOU and mike are published first...

we all have our desires...

Vicki said...

me too, me too, I was published, don't forget me, me meeeeeeee

Mary said...

oh mom... do tell