Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Political Two Cents




Hello family. Yes, I do have pictures of Lilly on Halloween, and yes I will post them. But for now, I know we are not supposed to get political on these, but everyone else is, so here is my two cents on the election.

I do not get it. In the most liberal-winning election I have ever seen, Prop 8 passed.... what? How is that possible? Prop 4, the one for a waiting period on abortions, failed, but prop 8 passed. Therefore it cannot be just the Christian right, because if it was, 4 would have passed too. What about gay marriage is so terrifying to people? Why do people care about something that has no effect on them?

Can someone explain it to me? The only solid thing I have heard against gay marriage is that people feel it goes against the bible. If you are a hardcore believer in the bible, and your morals go against gay marriage.... well, OK, I disagree but I can not argue with people's religious beliefs, that is unfair. But it still doesn't explain what happened with prop 8, because prop 4 failed! So, in other words, there were more people OK with teens getting abortions without their parents knowing then gay people getting married! That makes no sense to me. I am pretty socially liberal, and pro-choice, but my point is that it makes no sense that prop 8 passed. No sense!

Do people really think that if gay people are allowed to get married that suddenly all of our children will "turn gay." Are we all SO tempted to be gay that all we are waiting for is permission? No! If you're gay you're gay and it has nothing to do with the government's views. Gay people will still exist, the same amount of them, whether they can get married or not.

"Protect marriage" it said. Against what? Does my marriage mean less because a gay couple also gets married? No! Marriage is two people committing themselves to each other. Why does gender play a part? If anyone reads this disagrees, please don't be offended, just EXPLAIN it to me. Isn't society past the point of at least blatant discrimination? If it is something other than blatant discrimination, please explain it to me. I don't get it. I would love a real, solid reason why this passed, because it makes no sense to me.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

ya it made no sense to me either, i mean if gays got married its not like they would be rubbing it in our faces, so whats the big deal. and i agree with you about prop 4, i mean they should have both been the same, i just don't get it.

Sarah Michele said...

Valerie I love you soooo much! I was so saddened and frankly embarrassed to see Prop 8 pass. I wanted so badly to write this post but chickened out so thank you for being braver than me!

I feel the same. It is hard to argue with someone who honestly feels that the Bible says gay marriage is wrong. I can't argue with that as much as I disagree. But like you said, this is clearly not what happened here. I was shocked to find out bigotry and hatred is so prevalent right here in "progressive" California.

I can not offer a reason why this passed because I am still in shock. This is shameful and like I said before, just embarrassing. How anyone can see this as anything other than blatant discrimination is beyond me.

I hope no one gives the "I don't want it taught in schools" crap. A minute of research would have shown that to be simply false and a very well received fear tactic. How people fell for that blows me away. They don't even teach traditional marriage in schools, its all about the "different kinds of families".Why would they all of sudden "teach" gay marriage? ANd if gay marriage was mentioned as part of a "different kinds of families" thing, why oh why would that be bad? Gay people exist! Why would you want your child growing up to think that they are any better than anyone else. OR if they were homosexual themselves, that everyone else is better and more deserving of basic civil rights? What a horrible, horrible thing to instill in a child. UGH! This gets me way too riled up.

Vicki said...

I don't understand Prop 8 passing either.
I did hear that one of the reasons was the black Christian vote, which upsets me, because this is a civil rights issue.
This is America where every single person, no matter of race, color, gender or sexual preference should have equal rights under the law.
A pox on those who voted for this terrible proposition.
And thats what I have to say about that!

Mary said...

I believe the percentages show a growing number of people voting for what they want...It passed by very little....

It is a large step forward to even have it one the ballet..

I am soooo fortunate to have choices in my life... because in the past people (citizens like us) have fought for them...

now ... finally we can continue to fight for these choices and in the future those citizens will be fortunate as I have been.

I am proud to have voted No and I say it loud and proud...but I also recognize change takes courage, and this ballet was courageous and certainly almost successful.

This is not the end... it is only the beginning..

Vicki said...

uh Val, lets move on, like tell us about Corporate Whistleblowers. : )