Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day




So a few days ago JJ tells me that people from his work and their friends were all going to the lake on Labor Day and then he told me "and you're going." He complains I rarely do anything with his friends and that I should.

Well, first of all, I was not in the least interested going to a lake with bunch of people I didn't know (friends of the guys at work, and I barely know them to start with) to a crowded lake on Labor Day where everyone was going to be drinking and acting like idiots.

Then it turned out he invited our neighbors Allen and Jodi who have a boat and still have the Sea doos Allen had borrowed from his cousin for the Bachelor Party. So at least I know them.

But I still got pissy and we had a minor argument about it. JJ, who is so social, cannot possibly understand how upsetting it is for me to be put in a group of people I don't know. He doesn't have the same feelings of panic that I do about that. I am simply not good in those situations and avoid them as much as possible. And boating and jetskiing aren't really my thing at all, I prefer books and computers.

But I did learn that it wasn't going to be a bunch of drunk people on a crowded lake. It was a few groups of families (Lilly and Jodi's kids were going) and we were going to Black Butte Lake, which is not frequented by college kids and it would actually be more of a family day.

So I went and it was actually fun. JJ's boss and his family and his brother and two other people went, along with JJ, Lilly and I and Allen and Jodi and her kids. It wasn't crowded, nor was it is any sort of drunkfest at all.

I actually rode the sea doos and did pretty well for my first time. I guess I actually went a lot faster than several of the boys did at the Bachelor Party. So, it was a fun day at the lake, and I actually was brave, so that was growth for me.

3 comments:

Mary said...

A quote from Maya Angelou

If you don't like something, change it...

if you can't change it, change your attitude...

it sounds like it could have been a disaster, but you put your best foot forward ( that's your left one, the right one has a longer middle toe) and it turned out good.

JJ is lucky! I am glad you had a good time and do you want a ski vest for your birthday?

Valerie said...

Lol, no, all I want for my birthday is to reverse the aging process....

Vicki said...

Sounds horrible. : )
Outside, wet, children, hot, bugs, water...argh!