Friday, August 29, 2008

Week one done.



Good morning all. I have finished my first week in the grad program. There is going to be a lot of homework this semester. I have a couple different 25 page papers due throughout the semester, dealing with journal articles, you know the statistical scientific ones. My quantitative research methods class is going to involve reading a lot of those, as is my intro class.

I did have a moment of inspiration in the methods class though. We had to throw out ideas on what we would do our research proposal on. People were saying generic things like, gender communication, and mainly different types of workplace communication. I wanted to be original and suddenly all could think of was the above picture (edited for obvious reasons).

Of course, I didn't call it that, I said "anonymous communication, like on the Internet." My professor said "Yes!" and was very impressed with the idea. So that was nice, except that now I have to write a 25 page research proposal on Internet communication when there aren't really that many legitimate scientific sources to use.... so maybe it wasn't such a great idea. Oh well.

That is about all. I have to work at 11:30 today, an expo shift, which is basically organizing all the food that comes up for 8 servers and 48 tables from 4 different kitchen stations, all in different orders from the tickets I have to compare with. Yeah, it sucks. Then tomorrow I have a night bussing shift, and Sunday a night bar shift. So at least I have some variety. Hope all is well with everyone.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

My head is spinning, you are doing so much.
But, it appears you are "stoked" : )
Use the pedophile paper you used last year. It works for Michael to recycle school papers! : )

Mary said...

NO! There is a great deal of internet research available. I mean in my program ( which is primarily online) we have to write long papers in proper APA format with appropriate online documents.

Our library alone has thousands of qualified subjects and articles.

Write your paper on internet schools... the pros and cons maybe...

Amanda said...

dang, valerie seems like you are busy too, all that work and a research paper too,haha. I know you can do it, it just takes a little dedication.

Sarah Michele said...

I think thats an awesome topic. It is so true that people became complete a-holes when there is anonymity on their side. People get so ballsy when they don't have to show their face!